Design Lab @ Alief Campus
Alief Campus, B.130
Phone: (713) 718-5302
Contact Jordan Carswell for all queries including information about workshops, club events, and class orientations.
Tweets by @hccdlab
Interested in making things? Have an idea that you’d like to develop into a working prototype? Want to learn more about 3D printing, coding, and electronics? Visit the Design Lab (DLAB), HCC’s newest makerspace at the Alief Campus. Students, faculty, and staff are all welcome!
Programs & Activities
The Design Lab calendar of events for Spring 2017 is now out! Joins this semester for a wide range of activities that will introduce you to the various technologies in the lab and the skills needed to use them. All activities are open to current HCC students, faculty, and staff.
Available Tools & Equipment
The lab currently has one MakerBot Replicator 2, two MakerBot Replicator 5th Generation, two Lulzbot Taz 4 3D printers, and a FlashForge Creator Pro. HCC students, faculty and staff can bring in their own materials and request to have their designs printed by our lab staff. Visit our 3D printing page for more information.
The lab has two vinyl cutters. The Silhouette Cameo can be used for stippling, etching, debossing, and embossing on a range of materials up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long. The US Cutter handles larger materials up to 28″ and also works with a range of materials. Work with original designs or download from thousands of patterns, shapes, and graphics available online.
HP Sprout Workstations
Four HP Sprouts are available. This futuristic computer from HP offers 2D and 3D scanning, a touch screen and pad that provide a truly tactile creative experience for digitizing physical objects and remixing them in new digital creations. Software packages include Adobe Creative Cloud and AutoDesk 3D Design Suite.
Mini Milling Machine
The OtherMill is a portable milling machine that can be used in the lab to create 2D and 3D objects out of wood, metal and plastic. Use familiar file formats to design a custom circuit board, make jewelry, mechanical parts.
- All designers must sign in with a valid college ID before using the lab. First time visitors will be required to sign a member agreement.
- The lab is available for use as is. All tools and equipment are checked out to designers on a first come, first serve basis.
- Student club and organization sponsors can reserve the lab for events. Faculty can additionally request class orientations to be given by lab staff. Contact the lab coordinator for more information.
- Some tools and equipment require training or special instruction before use. Staff will approve the use of all such equipment and tools for each designer.
- Consumables used for fabrication or electronics activities will be supplied by designers.
- All tools, equipment, or supplies belonging to the lab should be returned after use in their original condition. Any broken or otherwise unusable items will be replaced by the designer.
- All work areas should be cleaned before leaving the lab.
- Designers are solely responsible for items that are made in the lab. The lab and its staff make no guarantees about a project’s success.
- The staff reserve the right to stop any project that is deemed a safety hazard, violates HCC policies, or copyright laws.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the lab during normal operating hours.